Saturday, August 2, 2008

God is Good! Deus é Bom!

I arrived early this morning into Cuiabá around 8 or so. I came into town because I had a meeting for the mission trip that I am going on here in Brasil. While we were driving to the church, Carlos told me that he had a surprise for me today. I had no clue what he was talking about. Him and another man on the team took me to a poorer part of Cuiabá. Not too bad. It is similiar to an area like Binghampton in Memphis. We pulled up at a huge outside basketball court. There were about 4o kids there playing soccer. He then began to tell me about this sports ministry at his church. Every other saturday, they go to this park and teach and play soccer. Then they share the gospel with them. It is a ministry that has been pouring into this part of town for a while. They are there for these kids whenever needed. It is run by two young guys and their wives. One of the guys own a professional soccer team here Cuiabá. So they know soccer. They have been talking for a while with Carlos, with the intents of meeting me and asking me to join there team as the basketball coach. They want me to teach basketball every other saturday. The saturdays that they aren´t teaching soccer. One of the guys wives speaks perfect English. So we got to talking and before long she has informed that she has a really good friend that owns the professional basketball team here in Cuiabá. Some connection. She says she will give him a call and wants me to meet him next saturday when I come back into Cuiabá. I am excited. She said that she has been praying for him because he is not a Christian. She has a special love for basketball ministry because she was saved back in 1994 when a basketball evangelism team came here from America. They shared the gospel with her, which was the first time she had ever heard about Jesus. She was in her teens. I´m excited about the doors that God is opening up. He is good. I also held a conversation in Português with some of the boys there this morning. Short, but it was a conversation nonetheless. Please pray for me next week as I hang out witht these kids. Pray that God will allow me to build bonds with these boys. I´ll let you know how things go. Love yall and miss yall.

Have you talked to God today?

His disciple.

No comments: