Monday, May 26, 2008

The day at Panamaquin

Today was one awesome day. It all started with God answering a prayer of mine. As I was laying in bed last night I asked God if he would wake me up at 5a.m. so I could see his majesty in the sunrise. I woke up at 5:03a.m. Man my God is good. I immediately got up, got a shower, and went up the hill from our house so I could sit and watch the sun rise over the mountains. There was light by the time I got up there but the sun had not come over the tip of the mountain yet. I sat there and just prayed and worshipped the creator of all things who loves me. I sat for about 2 hours this morning watching the sun come and light up the valley below and the mountains above. It was amazing. Our mission today was to go to the Panamaquin, which is a school about 8,000 feet about sea level and straight up a mountain. It was crazy scary going up that mountain on a dirt road knowing that I am about 2 ft. from being right back at sea level. The ride took about an hour and a half. Once we got there we sat down with some of the female students and just introduced ourselves. After that Stephen Shelton and I got on a tin roof. We brushed the roof and then painted it red. We were on that roof for about 3 hours. I am a little sunburned. I blend in with that roof right about now. Once we finished our group hosted a VBS for the kids. At one point in the day I walked out to the edge of the mountain to look at the view. I sat down because I was dog tired after playing soccer with the kids. I was playing with some dirt squeezing it between my fingers and all that good stuff. I soon realized that it wasn't dirt. I'm not telling you what it was but I'll give you a clue. There were a lot of cows around. Yeah! Gross! I washed my hands don't worry. More than once. We are back at the mission house now after another long drive back. The oddest thing I saw today was a man relieving himself on a sidewalk in the middle of town. That's about all the interesting stuff that has happened to me today, but the day isn't over yet. Please continue to pray for the team and myself. Pray that God would teach and show us new things everyday. Pray that he would show us his love like never before on this trip. Pray for miracles to happen. I thank you in advance for you prayers. Get into God's word today.

2 comments:

Dianne Martin said...

Jonathon,
I'm so glad I found yours and Stephens blogs... I love knowing what's going on each day. Please give Blair a big hug for me and tell her we miss her soooo much and we love her soooo much! We are praying for ya'll and can't wait to hear all about your experiences in Guatamala. Keep blogging!

Love,
Dianne Martin

Dianne Martin said...

Jonathan,
One more thing... I'm copying a message from Liz Sisk concerning 2 children at the orphanage...
I saw Blaire on Friday night and told her I was going to email her the name of one of the kids at the orphange. It totally slipped my mind that she was leaving yesterday and I know it's hard to check email there; but since they were staying at the mission home, I think making phone calls is pretty easy. So will you pass along a message to her. Tell her the little girl I was telling her about is Doris 2. More than likely, Mike (the pastor at the orphange) will tell them the story of Doris. She is the sweetest little girl and we had the most amazing connection. She's nine now I think. Also, ask her to look for Rigoberto 3 (they call him Rigo)...to me he looked like a darker version of my nephew Josh. He's probably 4 by now. I can promise you this - Blaire will come home wanting to adopt one of the kids!
I can't begin to tell you how overjoyed my heart is that Blaire was able to go on this trip. It literally changed my life. I wish that I would have been able to go back but because the trip was early this year, work was too crazy for me to take off. I will pray for her this week....I know God will protect her health so that she is able to experience everything He has in store for her.
take care,
Liz .

Thanks Jonathan!
Love to all,
Dianne