Friday, May 30, 2008

Amor del Nino 5.30.08

     Today was a very wet day.  We are getting the side storms of the hurricane that is near Nicaragua.  This morning for devotional, Tiffany (my brother's girlfriend) gave her testimony.  If was amazing.  She made me cry.  This week has been a very emotional week.  I love her to death and I'm so glad she is with Matt.  We got to the orphanage around 9:30 and immediately left with Augustine to get the supplies to build the house for the single mother of 6.  It took about 3 hours to get all the wood and supplies.  One thing I have learned this week is that Guatemalans are in a hurry to do absolutely nothing.  Nothing at all.  We had to carry the supplies up and down these narrow paths in the village to get to this woman's house.  It took over 3 hours just carrying the wood and the posts to the work site.  I probably walked over 10 miles today, for real.  My legs are weak and exhausted.  We didn't get near as much done today we had hoped.  We didn't realize that so much needed to be done before we even got started.  Other small things happened to us today to slow us down.  Mr. Denny (Ryan Johnston's dad) broke a window in the truck that we were loading the wood into.  The guy driving the truck ran into someone's fence and broke a post, so we had to fix it.  That was an ordeal.  The homeowner flipped out.  We got it fixed though.  We did get all the posts laid for the house and got it leveled off for the next team to come in and finish.  I hate that we couldn't finish the house.  I hate not being able to finish something that I had started.  We were also cut short by the rain that once it started it came hard.  It was freezing rain also.  We had to carry all our building supplies back to the truck and then we went back to the orphanage.  That was the first time that we had an opportunity to see the kids.  When I saw Danny, he came running with his hands held up.  When it came time to leave I knew it was going to be ugly.  I told him Adios, and that I had to go, and he shook his head no and grabbed hold of me tightly.  I was so upset.  I finally got away from there.  Once we got back to the orphanage, the electricity was out.  That means cold food for dinner and no showers.  No showers because the water pressure is run from electricity so we couldn't get pressure for the showers.  It finally came on about 4 hours later.  As soon as it came back on, it was a mad rush for the showers.  
     Today was our last day working and it was sad.  I would be really depressed but I know that I get to leave for Brazil Tuesday morning.  Please pray for safety traveling home and that God would continue to put his hand of blessing on this area of Guatemala.  He can and he will because he is an awesome and loving father.  Have you talked to him today?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hey just want you to know that we are praying for you. You should have arrived within the past hour or so and we are longing to hear how it went. we know you will be busy here in the next couple of days trying to get settled. Just know that we love you, are proud of you, and are praying for you. :)